Continuing medical education is essential for medical professionals who want to stay on top of their game. So where exactly can you find CME programs in New York City? We’ve done the search for you and found the 5 best NYC organizations to get your CME credits:
1. NYU Post-Graduate Medical School: NYU PGMS has been an accredited provider of continuing medical education for physicians since 1975. They offer courses in almost all branches of medicine with twenty-nine academic departments working to identify and close the gaps found in professional medical practice. When developing CME activities, NYU PGMS incorporates the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education core competencies as well as topics derived from the NYU Langone Medical Center Performance Improvement Program. If you are interested, NYU PGMS offers a variety of CME activities to choose from: symposia/conferences, preceptorships, courses, enduring materials (internet-based, audio, video, CD ROMS, and monographs), and regularly scheduled series (e.g. ground rounds and journal clubs). They have four events left in March and many more to come so check out their online course schedule.
2. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: The Continuing Medical Education Program at MSKCC aims to spread current and new knowledge of the causes, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cancer and related diseases. If you want to upgrade your clinical knowledge or learn about new research findings and treatments for various types and stages of cancer – this is the place for you. This program offers courses directed at non-staff physicians that may offer hands-on skill training as well as conferences for MSKCC staff and regional networks through video conferences. Their next event will be the New York State Thoracic Society Annual Scientific Assembly on March 18th, but there are many more to choose from.
3. Columbia University Center: This is another great place that offers diverse CME activities. CME is delivered on the Columbia University Medical Center campus, off-site, and also virtually through electronic media and include: regularly scheduled departmental Grand Rounds, on-site and off-site symposia and CME courses for Board Review, hands-on workshops for medical and scientific technology and improvements in patient safety and care, and web-based learning and enduring materials such as Board Review syllabi, videotaped and web-based curricula. Their next conference will be the Institute of Human Nutrition Obesity Course held from April 13th to April 17th, but don’t forget to check out their other upcoming conferences and additional courses.
4. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai: If the previous options did not work out for you, ISMMS is also a great CME provider. In fact, ISMMS received the maximum award status in 2013 that entitled a six-year certification period of CME. They offer in-person events that can be completely based on your own schedule with the next upcoming event being held on April 3rd. If in-person seminars and conferences aren’t really your thing, they also provide online activities that you can access from the comfort of your own home. Activities related to clinical advances in multiple sclerosis are available right now and will be accessible until March 20th. Their website is very easy to navigate so that registering for courses or finding additional information is a breeze.
5. Hospital for Special Surgery: Last but not least, HSS also offers a wide range of CME programs with online activities that can be completed year-round at the HSS eAcademy. The HSS eAcademy conveniently lists multiple course categories to choose from such as anesthesiology, orthopaedics, research, and rehabilitation (as well as subcategories to help you find the best course for you). You can look through all their scheduled activities on the CME calendar and view the monthly offerings of regularly scheduled conferences here.
Didn’t find what you were looking for? To find a CME provider near you, check out the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education website here!